[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] SIP: peer matchingbycallbackextension

Nick Lewis Nick.Lewis at atltelecom.com
Tue Sep 1 03:52:37 CDT 2009

>> I do not see the advantage of a unique random string. I suggest a
>> different unique string - the peername.
>Well, not all registrations is based on a peer. And you can have
>multiple registrations for a peer.

I think the peername can be used for multiple registrations e.g.
register=me at myself.com@registrar1.somewhere.net/peername
register=peername?registrar2.otherwhere.net

>> I have also experienced some trunk providers that make this mistake.
>> They tend to send the username back instead. In these cases I simply
>> name the peer after the username. This does not clash with other
>> peernames on the system because client peers have shorter names e.g.
>> [101] and trunk peers typically have usernames that are PSTN numbers
>> e.g. [442920500718] and hence unique.
>Well, you should not have phone numbers as device identifiers. That's
>a topic you can read ton of mails about in asterisk-users if you need
an
>explanation.
>Check the draft by Hadriel Kaplan about this kind of registration,
>something that's connected with the work for the new SIPconnect spec.

I am not recommending the mistakes made by trunk providers but only
highlighting that in practice I have found them to be satisfactorily
overcome

>> I agree that the "callbackextension=" and
"register=.../extension~..."
>> hack is ugly (I do not use it in my implementations) but as asterisk
>> currently contains this unusual concept, I think it needs to be
>Well, "to work" means different things. A patch that solves your issue

>may not be a good patch for other setups and cause a lot of secondary
>issues, like the poor design of callbackextension have done. I don't
>want us to integrate more short time patches that we already can see
>will cause a lot of future issues since they're not generic enough.
>The code is there and you're free to use it if it solves your problem
>- you should use it if it solves your problem. I think that patches
>that we integrate into Asterisk has to be a bit more generic and
>follow our architecture. And in this case, my personal opinion is the
>architecture is broken and we need to fix that before we mess it up
>even more with new patches. That's why I suggested that we collect the

>issues at hand in a document and work on the design before we make
>decisions about these patches.

A part of me agrees with your perspective but the project manager part
is concerned that the best may become the enemy of the good.

>It might prove that all I say here is totally wrong :-) and then I
>rest my case...
You may have the same type of modesty as I :-)