[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] SIP: Frog

Fri Oct 23 08:10:00 CDT 2009

Olle E. Johansson schrieb:
> 23 okt 2009 kl. 11.59 skrev Nick Lewis:
>
>>> Regardless, anything is better than "peer/user". Let's call it
>>> "frog",
>>> "orange" and "carpool". :-)
>> I have looked for nomenclatic inspiration in the Glossary of Telephony
>> Terminology (somewhere in the deepest recesses of the internet). It
>> would appear that traditional PBX interface types are termed "PBX
>> Extension", "PBX Line" and "PBX Tie" so, much as I would regret the
>> loss
>> of frog and his siblings, perhaps type=extension/line/tie would have
>> better acceptance from PBX admins.
>>

> Remember that we're trying to build something *new* with SIP. Not
> duplicate old behaviour, like PSTN and PBX...

Since when?

A orangefrog to an ITSP, used for handling 1 or more incoming/outgoing
calls, is an old PSTN feature, sow why not use old PSTN terms too?

In this case I would call it a trunk. IMO a trunk is a virtual link to
another party which can be used for 1 or more concurrent calls. If the
other party is an ITSP or just another Astersik in a remote office is
IMO irrelevant.

> It's friday after all, isn't it? ;-)
>
> Frog, orange and carpool stays. At least for the next hour.

As we know from other projects, finding new names is never easy :-)

klaus