[asterisk-dev] [Code Review] SIP/IAX2 'shrinkcallerid' option

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Mon Oct 19 19:06:51 CDT 2009

On Monday 19 October 2009 18:35:06 Russell Bryant wrote:
> Also, I would like to leave it as you have it to maintain existing behavior
> unless this option is used.  This behavior is ancient, and I'd rather not
> introduce any surprises to existing users.

I think that the behavior being ancient is not a good reason to keep it, but
rather only a reason for it not to change in existing releases.  I believe
that the intent here was purely to make the appearance of CallerID in
the configuration file for traditional telephony lines 'pretty' (and/or to
make SIP set CallerID compatible with those hard lines), which could
simply have been done in the Zaptel/DAHDI channel.  I really don't think
that we need to be concerned with backwards compatibility here.

--
Tilghman Lesher