[asterisk-dev] 16 speech codecs only ???

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Mon Oct 12 01:24:33 CDT 2009

On Sunday 11 October 2009 11:13:30 Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Pavel Troller wrote:
> >   I'm adopting my set of custom patches from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2 branch and
> > I've found a problem.
> >   One of my patches adds amr-nb format/codec (especially to interwork
> > with Nokia phones, it performs very well) and now I cannot adopt the
> > patch, becase there is no space for it in the AST_FORMAT_XXX "bitmap",
> > the free space was seized by SIREN7/14 formats.
> >   What I'm supposed to do ? Of course I could remove some format I'm not
> > planning to use (for example, LPC 10 :-) ) but I feel it as a dirty hack,
> > not a clean solution.
>
> There is no clean solution right now, not until some work gets done to
> increase the number of codec bits available for audio codecs.

Just for the sake of discussion, this will be part of what I'll be working on
over the next several weeks.  The number of available audio codecs will be
increased to at least 32.  And, to head this off at the pass, unless somebody
outside of Digium wants to contribute an advanced media negotiation framework,
it's unlikely that any other work will get done in this area in the immediate
future.  However, given that we're currently full up on audio codecs, this is
one item that needs to get done, even in the absence of that more advanced
media framework.

--
Tilghman Lesher