[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Release Schedule

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Thu Oct 8 11:46:53 CDT 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 9:24 AM, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 October 2009 14:52:09 Russell Bryant wrote:
>>   | 1.6.2.X | Standard | TBD (Q4    | TBD + 1 year    | TBD + 2    |
>>   |         |          | 2009)      |                 | years      |
>>   |---------+----------+------------+-----------------+------------|
>>   | 1.8.X   | LTS      | TBD        | TBD + 4 years   | TBD + 5    |
>>   |         |          |            |                 | years      |
>>
>>   +----------------------------------------------------------------+
>>
>>   Table 1: Asterisk Release Schedule (*** Dates extended due to the
>>   timing of the new policy)
>
> One change that I'd like to see is that we change the versioning
> such that
> we stop skipping odd minor numbers.  Yes, we're not in danger of
> running out
> of numbers, but it looks very weird and we have to explain to
> newbies this odd
> convention.
>
> The original intent was to allow us to create "developer" releases
> that were
> ahead of the curve, but 1) we've never done that, 3) we have no
> plans to do
> that, and 5) it's strange, illogical, and silly to continue doing it.

My (minor) objection to that is that we had previously decided to use
even numbers in the past, and that keeping consistent with our prior
policy seems to be reasonable.  In the progression between 1.2, 1.4,
and 1.6 it seems the next reasonable release would be 1.8.   Having
only two release numbering schemes seems better than introducing yet
another which includes odd numbers.  This only makes sense as being
internally consistent.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/