[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Release Schedule

Rod Dorman rodd at polylogics.com
Wed Oct 7 16:47:05 CDT 2009

Drat... I hate it when I accidently send something before its ready :-(

On Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 16:22:55, Gregory Boehnlein wrote:
> Darnit.. I just spent an hour redoing my slides discussing the Current
> Release structure! :)
>
> But this looks good. Very Ubuntu.

It's also very similar to Postfix which is another successful open
source project.

>>    The numbering scheme can be interpreted as:
>>    <Concept>.<Feature>.<Minor>[.Patch]
>>      * Concept - Something close to a complete rewrite would be
>>        required to increase this number.
>>      * Feature - An update to this number indicates an update to the
>>        major feature set.
>>      * Minor - This number reflects an update with bug fixes only.
>>      * Patch - This number will be optionally used to reflect trivial
>>        changes to a patch release. This is most often used for
>>        security updates.

I'm curious about the need for both 'Minor' and 'Patch'

What would be an example of a "trivial" change that couldn't just bump
the 'Patch' level?

--
rodd at polylogics.com     "The avalanche has already started, it is too
Rod Dorman              late for the pebbles to vote." - Ambassador Kosh