[asterisk-dev] Running asterisk trunk build

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Nov 29 08:24:01 CST 2009

Kirill 'Big K' Katsnelson wrote:
> On 091129 0552, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>> I have Asterisk installed from packages. I do not want whatever
>> experimental branch of Asterisk I work with to contaminate my system.
>> Thus I wrote
>> http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/contrib/scripts/live_ast
>
> Thank you, I'll try that. Just to clarify, asterisk really has to be
> installed (as in `make install') to run?

Normally, yes. However, there are two other options:

1) Use Tzafrir's live_ast script.

2) Use 'make menuselect' to enable module embedding for all the modules
you wish to use, and then create a set of configuration files in an
alternate directory. Use the -C command line argument to point to the
asterisk.conf in that alternate directory, and the rest of the config
files should be found there as well if you've setup the asterisk.conf
file properly.

Asterisk has to find its loadable modules *somehow*; it will not find
them in the build directory. Either the modules have to be installed
into an alternate location (the method live_ast uses), or they have to
be embedded into the asterisk binary itself.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com