[asterisk-dev] ODBC stored voicemail blob object format

Nir Simionovich nir.simionovich at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 05:58:35 CST 2009

Hi all,

  I've developed a REST based API that is capable of fully integrating
with the ODBC storage and management
engine for app_voicemail. However, I've reached somewhat of an impass
when trying to playback messages
stored as BLOBs using a Flash Player.

  In general, I gathered the the BLOB object stored in the database
isn't a full WAV file format, and actually is
a RAW ADPCM file, which is playable from a standard media player.
However, the file in non-playable from
an ADOBE based flash player - which requires a fully standard WAV file.

  Questions that arise in this case are:
1. Is there a method to convert the stored BLOB to a valid WAV format?
2. Adding proper WAV support to Asterisk, is it feasible?
3. Is there an external method of converting from the RAW format to
proper WAV? (tried SOX with no success).

  I'm not an audiophile, so I'm kind'a of at a loss here.

Cheers,
  Nir S