[asterisk-dev] Insulting source code comments in main/channel.c

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Mon Nov 23 15:06:58 CST 2009

Andrew Kohlsmith (Mailing List Account) wrote:
> On November 23, 2009 02:03:40 pm Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) wrote:
>> Grow a sense of humor against insults? Really? Do I absolutely have to?
>> Hm... On second thought why not turn the other cheek?
>
> What insult? Some poor coddled soul thought that someone spat on him with a
> comment talking about "silly" Europeans with their alaw codecs in a codebase
> originally written by an American.

>> Detrimental stereotypes, humor about culture, delicate sensibilities...
>> And all this is coming from a person living in North America (judging by
>> the .ca suffix in your email) which is the capital of political
>> correctness (according to Americans), where discriminating and demeaning
>> comments against any group is frowned upon vehemently, etc.
>
> Sure, I am Canadian; my heritage is German and Russian, I am married to a
> Romanian and have scores of friends from various cultures and races and
> locations all over the globe. We all seem to get along just fine, even when we
> use cultural slurs or racist jokes against each other. If any one of them
> would take the ludicrous stance that the OP took in this thread you could bet
> your bottom dollar (or Euro in your case, they're worth more) that I'd tease
> them even more viciously than I did here.

Sure I can take any joke from a person in front of me, especially from a
friend of mine. But in written word, intentions are blurred.

That's my point.

> Political correctness is a disease, just like zero-tolerance rules in schools
> and the constant worry we instill in our children about whether something they
> say may be taken the wrong way by some immature whiner who's got nothing
> better to do than look for ways they can be offended. Tact and diplomacy are
> wonderful, powerful tools, but taken to the extreme you have political
> correctness. I hate it, and I'm usually a pretty tactful, diplomatic person.
>
> So again: grow up. Nobody insulted you, nor your culture. If you can't bear
> the thought of someone calling your physical location's codec preference
> silly, then you best find somewhere else to hang out. I'd recommend nursery
> school. I honestly don't know how people this sensitive can function in a
> normal society. If you're offended this easily I bet you're a ton of fun to
> hang around.

Let me be the one to decide if the written word of someone offends me,
thank you very much.

I'm sorry but no-one can decide the threshold of "insultness" for another.

I am NOT the one doing the mistake by being insulted. The clumsy comment
should not be there in the first place, and THIS is the mistake. Does
anyone care to comment on this please?

Why is it SO HARD for some people to recognize that the writer did a
mistake and call it for what it is?

We could have the word "silly" removed and be done with it but no, so
many people had to "correct" the ones who felt insulted, by showing them
how to be mature, forgiving magnanimous, etc.