[asterisk-dev] AAL semantic checks

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Mon Nov 23 11:21:58 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 02:12:37PM -0200, Daniel Ferrer wrote:
> >  From branches/1.4/doc/ael.txt:
> >
> > "There are a subset of checks that have been removed until the proposed
> > AAL (Asterisk Argument Language) is developed and incorporated into
> > Asterisk.
> >     * Calls to applications not in the "applist" database (installed
> > in /var/lib/asterisk/applist" on most systems)
> > "
> > Is there some progress on this? Last code I've seen is 3 years old from
> > murf here:
> > http://svnview.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/murf/AAL/
> >
> > Any other AAL update? What's the situation of AAL in trunk?
>
> The list of valid apps depends on the loaded modules. Is that intended
> for off-line tests?

That's the problem!

I did AAL as I was working on AEL, because I thought it would be really cool
if we could
check the args to each app, and make sure they are sane; some options
(especially 'j')
are really, really, not good to use with AEL. But AAL kinda died the death,
because I saw
no easy way to gather the necessary info, and it was a static list. What we
would need
would be a dual standard: both gatherable from loaded modules, and
gatherable offline,
when asterisk is not running, from the source itself, if at all possible.
This kinda thing
would require a unified format for the description of arguments; something
that could be
derived from the source at build time. And, some way to collect this info
for add-on apps
that aren't in the main source tree, but added onto asterisk by one means or
another.

Well, in the following years, some good things have happened... we have the
xml
app and func interface descriptions now, which seem to provide most of the
info
we would need for something like AAL. The arg parsing for apps has been
unified,
which would be another step. So, maybe AAL could be adapted to the new
environmnet
somehow.

murf

> --