[asterisk-dev] Noise generation

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Nov 19 07:57:55 CST 2009

On 11/19/2009 09:10 PM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> During my adventures, I have came across some issues related to comfort noise and noise generation. While googling, several patents related to noise generation shows up. Is this why we don't support it or is it beacuse we haven't got the code?
>
> My neighbours must have the code, since there's a lot of noise coming out of their cubicles. Don't know if it's open source though :-)

There are certainly patents on various aspects of comfort noise fill in.
Annex B of G.729, for example, is encumbered by at least one of the
patents in the G.729 patent pool. However, the key reason for there
being no good open source implementation of CNG and DTX is that nobody
competent and motivated has got around to it.

Steve