[asterisk-dev] Security Request for discussion: Should sip.conf allowguest=yes be the default

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Wed Nov 18 12:00:30 CST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 18:46 +0100, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> I am beginning to think that we should propably divide the "sample"
> configurations and the "reference". The "sample" could be much more
> simple and just have some basic settings to get things going and
> security information.

I'm very glad to hear you say this, as this is something I've been
advocating for a while now.  The current sample files are too unwieldy
for the beginner, and most beginners I see don't bother to read the
sample files because they're so big.  I'd rather have them start with a
short (one page!) sample config that gives them the basic, and then show
them where they can go to research every possible configuration option.

I'd be happy to share the simplified sip.conf and extensions.conf files
that I use as part of my Asterisk training classes, if people are
interested.

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager