[asterisk-dev] Mantis bugs seen as Feature request, when it may only be an issue.

Alec Davis sivad.a at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 18 02:17:43 CST 2009

Discussion at Leif Madsen's request:

Using the following bug as an example which was closed as was seen as a
Feature request, with no patch attached.
https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=16248

Reading the bug guidlines, I believe the issue reported meets the
bug-guidelines of 'unexpected or detrimental results in the Asterisk
system'.
The issue is not detrimental to asterisk, but it's not the expected
behaviour of a globally deployed PBX solution.

The existing already supported feature is CallerId.
The signalling specific's seem to be where the problem lies.

If it was a request for something that Asterisk currently didn't do, then
I'd agree it's a feature request.
But a request to get an existing feature to work in your area, due to
signalling specfics, that's documented in an ETSI specification, is that
really a feature request?

The question:
Should mantis bugtracker be the forum for requests for specific
implementations of existing features?

My view:
Bugtracker does a good job of keeping the issue, thoughts, progress and
resources together in one thread. Non bug-marshals, reporters and
contributors, now and in the future can pick up the issue request and hack
away at it.
Submitting an issue to an email forum, the request is there in front of
recipients once, then it's gone.

Alec Davis

PS. I also see this specific issue as related to my posting
https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=14602, which when I get it done, may
allow for a test bed for 16248.