[asterisk-dev] why does Dial() not inhert the language setting to the outgoing channel?

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Nov 10 10:54:43 CST 2009

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> When Dial() sets up a new outgoing channel, the language setting of the
> incoming channel is not copied to the outgoing channel (at least with
> 1.6.1.9).
>
> Is there a specific reason for this? To me this looks like a bug.

Is the caller's language a direct indicator of the callee's language?  I
don't think it is, and that's why the code behaves this way.  There is
an argument to be made for each method being default behavior, but I
think having it _not_ inherited makes more sense.

For known devices, the callee language is set in the device
configuration.  In other cases, if an admin would like to make this
behavior the default, I would recommend doing it by running a macro on
the callee's channel.  We should document this ... somewhere.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software