[asterisk-dev] Fixing bug #14718

Faidon Liambotis paravoid at debian.org
Fri Nov 6 21:50:27 CST 2009

Hi,

Tzafrir reported bug #14718 along with a fix that we're including in the
Debian packages since we are bitten by this bug with no obvious workarounds.

The bug is about allowind tildes (~) in DESTDIR. dpkg uses the tilde as
a special character; in version comparisons, 1.0~1 is lower than than
1.0 and 1.6.2.0~rc4 is lower than than 1.6.2.0. Directories are having
their version number in their filename, therefore our DESTDIR right now
contains rcN and fails to build.

Asterisk has a special check in the Makefile for users that use ~ for
their home directory but have a shell that doesn't expand that.

Now, there were some proposed fixes in that bug report which could be
used. Alternatively you could drop the check altogether as it is, IMO,
handling a very special case in an ugly way.

The bug report didn't progress much, probably because of the minority of
the issue for everyone but us :) lmadsen closed the bug and prompted us
to discuss this on asterisk-dev, hence this mail. (closing bugs that are
present and with suggested fixes just because the developers can't agree
on the proper solution is beyond me, btw...)

How can we move this forward?

Thanks,
Faidon