[asterisk-dev] Sound path

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Wed Nov 4 05:42:11 CST 2009

Kevin P. Fleming schrieb:
> Philip A. Prindeville wrote:
>
>> That doesn't address the issue of maintaining look-aside copies of
>> standard files...
>
> It sure does; you can have a directory called sounds/en/CUSTOMER1 that
> contains only a couple of files, and set LANGUAGE for customer #1's
> channels to 'en_CUSTOMER1'. Asterisk will use the files that are in that
> directory in preference to the files in the sounds/en directory, but the
> sounds/en/CUSTOMER1 directory does not need to contain a complete set of
> sounds.

The difference is that a LANGUAGE_PATH would look something like
"en-cockney:en-GB:en-US:en" and that this would allow for a flat
directory structure:

.../sounds/en-cockney
.../sounds/en-GB
.../sounds/en-US
.../sounds/en

or even directories in different places in the file system.

The way it currently works requires an impractical nested directory
structure:

LANGUAGE=en_en-US_en-GB_en-cockney:

.../sounds/en/en-US/en-GB/en-cockney
.../sounds/en/en-US/en-GB
.../sounds/en/en-US
.../sounds/en
.../sounds

en-GB is unlikely to live inside the en-US directory or vice-versa.
In fact that would require n*n symlinks with n being the number of
languages.
The PATH approach provides more flexibility.
However I'm not quite sure if there is really a huge need for more
advanced handling of languages in a telephony engine itself.

    Philipp Kempgen
--
AMOOMA GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied  ->  http://www.amooma.de
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer, Handelsregister: Neuwied B14998