[asterisk-dev] Sound path

Philip A. Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Nov 2 23:42:48 CST 2009

I was wondering if it would make sense to allow Asterisk to be
configured to have a $PATH-like functionality to locate sound files, so
that it would search in multiple places until it found a match.

We could use this to allow looking-aside for custom-sounds, alternate
languages for bi- or tri-lingual regions (think Switzerland, Belgium,
and Canada)... or even putting a custom-sounds directory first so that
the contents of "stock" sound files could be overridden with locally
produced content.

Make sense?

The complexity to support this wouldn't be more than a dozen extra
lines... (including parsing config file).

-Philip