[asterisk-dev] wanna be asterisk-dev

Valter Nogueira vgnogueira at gmail.com
Sun May 31 11:01:29 CDT 2009

Hi people,

I am a wanna be asterisk-dev, but the learning curve is somewhat hard.

Do you have any clues such "IDE", debugging tools and what ever could help?

Should I start on 1.4 or 1.6 version - I am using 1.4 as user so I think it
is most apropriate stick with it as dev.

I am developing an Asterisk based dialer. My first version write down an
extension.conf - so I reload it every time config changes.

So, I thought: What if I create extensions on the fly: "DIALPLAN ADD
EXTENSION 1111,1,COMMAND INTO MYCONTEXT"

It sounded great, but just worked if MYCONTEXT is already present (what is
not always the case).

I thought again (what is not usual): Source code can answer it to me.

Now the hard part where in the damn giant source code DIAL PLAN ADD
EXTENSION is handled.

Few greps after I found it -> pbx_config.c - where I found 2 function - one
marked as deprecated

How should I debug asterisk to get here and understand what is happening?

Should asterisk create a new dialplan context when adding an extension?

Is there some other way to dynamically add or remove CONTEXTS?

Do you have any tips for me.

Thank you all,

Valter