[asterisk-dev] Customizable Voicemail Menu

Jonathan Thurman jthurman42 at gmail.com
Sat May 30 12:23:10 CDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Giuseppe Sucameli <brush.tyler at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/5/30 Sean Bright <sean.bright at gmail.com>:
> > I'm not really sure why you would necessarily want the voicemail menu
> > configuration to be available to non-privileged users.  Also, I don't
> > see why "mixing the voicemail and dialplan configuration" is any more
> > complex from a management standpoint than throwing:
> >
> >    #include "voicemail-menus.conf"
> >
> > at the bottom of my extensions.conf.
> >
> > So the idea is that users (of the voicemail system) can modify the menu
> > layouts for themselves?  Or just that a non-privileged user on the
> > server could be made able to change voicemail menu layout?
> >

> 2009/5/30 Giuseppe Sucameli <brush.tyler at gmail.com>:
> >> We can keep the voicemail configuration separate  from the
> >> dialplan, so the dialplan writer will only have to dispatch the call,
> >> and the voicemail config will do the rest. Then one can
> >> import/write/modify the voicemail config without having to bother
> >> (or needing to have permission) to touch the dialplan itself.
>
> For unprivileged users I intend users with server access but which have a
> restricted scope. The dialplan is the main configuration file of asterisk,
> instead admin can demand the manage of voicemail to another user.
> The inclusion in the dialplan by #include directive is dangerous in this
> sense.
>
> 2009/5/30 Sean Bright <sean.bright at gmail.com>:
> > One of my main concerns with this sample configuration is that we are
> > talking about adding another domain specific language to asterisk
> > (extensions.conf and AEL2 being the two biggies that spring to mind).
>
> This is the dev mailing list aim: discussing for new code development.
> This proposal is as an extension of actual app_voicemail, not a replacement
> by a new voicemail.
>
> About the language, I have proposed a possible solution. We can discuss
> which is best way to create a config file for voicemail menu using existing
> config languages, and when we'll find a solution using it.
>
> 2009/5/30 Jonathan Thurman <jthurman42 at gmail.com>:
> >> Two file are attached (only text/plain files):
> >>                explain the voicemail_menu.conf file structure and its
> the
> >> most
> >>                important functionality

> >>                is an example of config file to customize the voicemail
> >> menu
> >
> > There are some inconsistencies with your example which makes it a little
> > hard to follow.  You have the start = ast_vm but no ast_vm section
> defined,
> > did you mean vm_menu?  Also a reference to vm_setup_options when I think
> you
> > meant vm_opt.
>
> Oops, your right... start = vm_menu and vm_setup_options is vm_opt.
> I've send the message at 3.23 AM :)

Been there...

> 2009/5/30 Jonathan Thurman <jthurman42 at gmail.com>:
> > I am really looking forward to customization of voicemail.  It will make
> > migrating customers much easier.  However, I think this is a bit in
> depth.
> > So here is an idea.  For basic users: Make it so that you can change the
> > digits dialed for the current menu items, and have the prompts say the
> right
> > thing.  For advanced users: export the menu items as dialplan functions
> > (maybe have a global variable in voicemail.conf to turn this on/off?) so
> > that users can create a more dynamic voicemail application if they so
> > choose.  It would also be nice to add some more (admin controlled)
> abilities
> > for the users to change more options (like turning on/off attachments for
> > your mailbox)
>
> It's hard, but is a nice idea. However in this moment is a lot in depth.

> >> (3) is an interesting issue of its own.
> > I don't really agree, minivm is much better in supporting language
> > codes and date syntaxes. You can have multiple mail templates
> > in different languages, and set a locale code for correct date formats
> > in the e-mail.
> >
> > I would really love someone
> > - Adding channel datastores to minivm to carry account info between apps
> > - Adding missing building blocks so that you can build a full
> > voicemail app
> > - Adding different storage methods for voicemail

These are crucial in my opinion.  While for some users would be very upset
if they could not get voicemail as email, others don't have regular access
to a computer...

> Seriously, I'll wait for your ideas.

I was trying to get out two main ideas:

1. At a minimum, allow administrators to change what digits do what per menu
as they exist on the current VoiceMailMain (Not to difficult)

2.  Use app_minivm as the groundwork to rewrite app_voicemail as building
blocks.  Export those to the dialplan and use them internally by VoiceMain /
VoiceMailMain to keep it simple.  Depricate MiniVM, or make it a wrapper for
the new app_voicemail.  (MiniVM is on the right track, but as a final
solution in a merger I think app_voicemail is a better name)  Then we have
all the functionallity without having to maintain multiple code bases.

If you want feature requests on top of all that work, let me know. =)

-Jonathan