[asterisk-dev] Customizable Voicemail Menu

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sat May 30 05:03:39 CDT 2009

> MiniVM?
>
> What is MiniVM missing?
>
> 1. app_voicemail Just Works by calling a single app, whereas minivm
>   requires a complex dialplan.
>
> 2. MiniVM does not support voicemail through ODBC or IMAP
>
> 3. I18N: The code of app_voicemain has quite a few language-specific
>   cases.

> (1) is by design. I believe that there are good enough samples. Was
> this
> ever a problem to anybody recently?
The idea behind minivm was just to build building blocks to enable
an extremely high degree of customization in the dialplan, which is
where we configure this kind of functions. Inventing yet another new
language is not the right way forward.

> (2) indeed requires major work. Any hope of reusing some of
> app_voicemail's code there?
Yes, of course. With the addition of using channel datastores
that would be really easy. At the time I wrote Minivm there was a lot
of discussion about a common storage model, so I did not explore
the odbc/imap path much, waiting for that API.

> (3) is an interesting issue of its own.
I don't really agree, minivm is much better in supporting language
codes and date syntaxes. You can have multiple mail templates
in different languages, and set a locale code for correct date formats
in the e-mail.

The current set of minivm apps was built primarily for voicemail
over e-mail and thus did not have the prompt problems.
Adding the prompt logic would be a piece of cake.

I would really love someone
- Adding channel datastores to minivm to carry account info between apps
- Adding missing building blocks so that you can build a full
voicemail app
- Adding different storage methods for voicemail

/O