[asterisk-dev] Feature request: Ability to assign which nic card or mac address to use for each trunk in sip.conf

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Thu May 28 21:17:14 CDT 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009, David Backeberg wrote:

> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Kaloyan Kovachev <kkovachev at varna.net> wrote:
>> If each trunk is using diferent router IP - you don't need any changes in
>> Asterisk, but configuring the routing on the machine.
>>
>> Example:
>>  trunk 1 uses src IP 1.1.1.1 on eth0 and router 2.2.2.2
>>  trunk 2 uses src IP 1.1.1.2(but the same as on eth0 will also work) on eth1
>> and router 2.2.2.3
>>
>> ip a a dev eth0 1.1.1.1
>> ip a a dev eth1 1.1.1.2
>> ip r a 2.2.2.2 dev eth0 src 1.1.1.1
>> ip r a 2.2.2.3 dev eth1 src 1.1.1.2
>>
>> with this setup Asterisk will pickup the outgoing IP for each trunk properly
>
> This is true, and you can of course make this dramatically more
> complicated by adding more physical NICs, or virts on the same system,
> or ethernet bridging techniques.

I am guessing this won't help the OP, as he describes registering to the
device on his network (otherwise the MAC wouldn't matter).  There is only
one of them, and must assume only one IP.  There is no way for the routing
layer to know which MAC should handle the outbound packet, as the
determining factor is actually in the application layer.

> I second that you are trying to solve a solveable problem using a much
> harder approach than what to me and the other poster is the obvious
> solution already supported by asterisk.

I don't know that there is a solution already in asterisk, but the bottom
line is code gets written by frustrated programmers.  It will be hard to
find someone on this list that is frustrated with this particular problem
because none of us actually have to deal with it.  One of NTT's customers
will have to step up to the plate, probably, as I cannot really think of
any other use for this patch.  The multipath example perhaps, but anyone
needing that is probably already using routing equipment to solve that
issue.