[asterisk-dev] Feature request: Ability to assign which nic card or mac address to use for each trunk in sip.conf

JwexlerAt MailDotCom jwexler at mail.usa.com
Thu May 28 15:32:04 CDT 2009

It is an roadblock for those in Japan who desire to go open source and with Asterisk. One alternative, of course, is for Japanese users to have to give up on open source voip and pay exhorbinate purchase and maintenance fees for NTT proprietary voip services. However, we are talking about massive monetary amounts that only large businesses would be able to justify paying.

But, many people in the global community cherish and are passionate about open source (including Asterisk) because it does provide a free, community-driven, open alternative to big-business pricy solutions around the world.

So, yes, extending the capability of Asterisk to allow for assigning trunks to specific nic cards would solve the problem over here with overcoming the massive monopolist telecom company NTT's giving Japan people no other alternatives to the purchase of NTT's own high-priced technology and yes it would thereby solve the individuals' ability to deal with that.

I think there have been countless other situations where Asterisk and other open source products have countered monopolists with alternative products for the masses including providing alternatives to Microsoft's monopolistic efforts and as well as those of others.
Further, in the case of NTT, we are basically talking about helping an entire country of people (not just a few individuals).