[asterisk-dev] Understanding call handling in Asterisk

varun.rapelly at spectross.com varun.rapelly at spectross.com
Tue May 26 23:30:22 CDT 2009

Hi,

I am a newbie to Asterisk; need help understanding three-way conferencing &
call-transfer features implemented over standard extensions i.e. on a
TDM800P card (4 FXO + 4FXS)

In Asterisk I have observed that if an extension is already participating in
an active call (e.g. Ext A & Ext B communicating):

1. An incoming call to one of these active extensions would be presented
with call-wait beeps (e.g. Ext A receives call-wait beeps as Ext C is
attempting to call Ext A).

2. The call waiting may be answered by pressing Hook-Flash, placing the
previously active call on hold (e.g. C answered; A & C communicate; B placed
on hold).

3. The calls could be toggled by subsequent Hook-Flash's (e.g. A & B
communicate; C placed on hold).

Queries:
1. If the extension which received call-wait beeps hangs-up then the call
waiting/the call placed on hold returns as a new call. I was expecting the
call to be transferred (A hangs-up, B & C communicate), how could the call
be transferred? I expected this feature to be available in Asterisk as this
is a very normal feature available on any PBX and used extensively in Call
Transfer.

2. How could the extension that received call-wait beeps initiate a
three-way conference with the other extensions (A, B & C in three-way
conference)? I expected this feature to be available in Asterisk as this is
a very normal feature available on any PBX and used extensively in 3-way
Call Conference.

Regds.
Varun