[asterisk-dev] How to find crashing problems (cause maybe double free) in my own module?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri May 22 08:18:00 CDT 2009

On Friday 22 May 2009 03:13:09 Holger Wirtz wrote:
> But I get crashes like the following when running two or three calls for
> some time:
>
> --- cut here ---
>     -- Hungup 'IAX2/193.174.1.6:4569-11496'
> *** glibc detected *** asterisk: double free or corruption (out):
> 0xb5b75778 ***
> ======= Backtrace: =========
> /lib/libc.so.6[0xb7d9b215]
> /lib/libc.so.6(cfree+0x9c)[0xb7d9caec]
> --- cut here ---
>
> Has anyone an idea what I can do to find this problem?
> Are there helpful tools for this kind of problem?

Valgrind is an excellent tool for figuring out problems like this.  If you
like, please download my presentation from Astricon 2008, starting on
slide 39, which details the exact valgrind output you're likely to see, as
well as what was done about it.  It's a real-life debug session that is
exactly the scenario you have and should be completely relevant to your
debugging.

http://www.astricon.net/2008/glendale/web/presentations/Astricon08_dev101.pdf

--
Tilghman