[asterisk-dev] Media traffic handling by external host (different IP)

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu May 21 08:35:18 CDT 2009

Jared Smith wrote:

> I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I think one
> of the Asterisk developers recently rewrote some of the RTP
> infrastructure to be able to support different plug-in RTP handlers.  If
> I recall correctly, this is only available in the trunk of the Asterisk
> SVN repository at this time.

It is what he's looking for; it allows for creation of RTP stack
implementations that provide what RTP-using channel drivers (like
chan_sip) require without the media actually flowing through the host
running Asterisk. As Tzafrir already mentioned, making use of this
functionality is a bit complex as Asterisk is not just a media gateway
but also needs to have access to the media stream during call setup (and
possibly at other times).

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com