[asterisk-dev] Media traffic handling by external host (different IP)

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu May 21 08:02:55 CDT 2009

I figure I'm missing quite a few things here. But whatever :-)

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 02:45:14PM +0300, Arkadi Shishlov wrote:
> Hi!
> While the ability to set an alternate source for RTP media is being
> discussed I want to ask about possibility to implement support for
> the following scenario:
>
> - I'm developing a channel driver - chan_nms
>   http://chan-nms.hosting.lv/ for NMS card that has Ethernet ports
>   and autonomous TCP/IP stack on-board.
> - Currently media traffic is passed via Asterisk.
> - I would be great to offload media processing - both sending and
>   receiving from the host and push the traffic via on-board ethernet.
> - Signaling is still performed by Asterisk.
>
> As I understand, this does not fit well into Asterisk architecture,
> but it would be great to get it working for SIP.

IIUC, chan_sip can work that way. Naturally anything that relies on
listening to the media (or even to signalling in the rtp stream) cannot
work. But you can't have it both ways, I guess.

Could you be more specific at where exactly this does not work?

Sanity check: Why doesn't your card talk SIP with Asterisk through the
extra interface it has?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com