[asterisk-dev] Media traffic handling by external host (different IP)

Arkadi Shishlov arkadi.shishlov at gmail.com
Thu May 21 06:45:14 CDT 2009

Hi!
While the ability to set an alternate source for RTP media is being discussed I want to ask about possibility to implement support for the following scenario:
- I'm developing a channel driver - chan_nms http://chan-nms.hosting.lv/ for NMS card that has Ethernet ports and autonomous TCP/IP stack on-board.
- Currently media traffic is passed via Asterisk.
- I would be great to offload media processing - both sending and receiving from the host and push the traffic via on-board ethernet.
- Signaling is still performed by Asterisk.
As I understand, this does not fit well into Asterisk architecture, but it would be great to get it working for SIP.
Any ideas?