[asterisk-dev] channel name uniqueness

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed May 20 11:32:56 CDT 2009

Tim Ringenbach wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at digium.com> wrote:
>
>> The unique ID field on a channel is what uniquely identifies it from
>> others that had the same name.  The unique ID field is a monotonically
>> increasing integer, a timestamp, and optionally, a system name.
>>

> I did recently notice that the unique ID isn't copied during a channel masq
> and had been wondering if that was intentional. For what I was doing, it
> would have been much more convenient if it did copy.  The way it is now, the
> same channel name (e.g. SIP/foo-xxxx), representing the same actual call
> leg, will change uniqueid's (because it isn't copied into the channel struct
> on masq) during the lifetime of the call if certain events happen.
>
> Is that on purpose or an oversite? If it's intentional, you might want to
> add that quirk to the documentation.

It is a quirk, for sure.  I can't say if it was really intentional, as
it was done long before my time in this code.

However, at this point, since it has been that way for _so_ long, I
would be very concerned about breaking applications if we made the
change.  So, for now, I think we have to live with it as a quirk.

If someone wanted to make it an option that is off by default, then I
could live with that.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead