[asterisk-dev] How to create a slinear silent frame? SOLVED

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue May 19 07:49:47 CDT 2009

Holger Wirtz wrote:

> thanks for your help! I fixed the problem with not using "offset" but
> can anyone tell me when offset is beeing used?

'offset' represents the number of bytes of space available 'in front' of
the data buffer that the frame points to. This is used by channel
drivers that send frames over network connections so they can place
network packet headers (RTP, for example) in front of the data without
having to copy it into another buffer first. Most Asterisk modules that
produce frames allocate the number of bytes needed for the data *plus*
AST_FRIENDLY_OFFSET, then store the actual data in the first byte of the
buffer *after* AST_FRIENDLY_OFFSET and set 'offset' to that value.

> Another question: Is there a documentation outside the sources where I
> can get some more information about channels and frames?

Nope.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com