[asterisk-dev] Playing audio messages to the callee??

lucky goyal lg_0811 at yahoo.com
Tue May 19 02:33:52 CDT 2009

Hi All,

This is my first mail to the list. I have a requirement
of playing audio messages to the called party. I am using following
configuration in "extensions.conf" file.

exten => 789,2,Dial(SIP/456,20,A(/tmp/soundfile))

Here I am calling from "SIP/123" to the extension "SIP/789". In the dialplan for extension "SIP/789" the destination number "SIP/456" is dialled and the announcement recorded in the "soundfile" is played to the user listening at "SIP/456" when the user answers the call. But there are two issues faced by me.

1)
The voice quality of the announced message is very poor. The issue does
not seem to be related to the "soundfile" because if I use the same
recorded "soundfile" to playback to the calling party(SIP/123 in this
case), I get a good voice quality. Also if I use the following
configuration:

exten => 789,2,Dial(SIP/123,20,A(/tmp/soundfile))

i.e. I callback the calling number(SIP/123)
and play the announcement, even then the voice quality seems good. But
if a number different than the caller is dialled and the anouncement is
played, the sound quality deteriorates a lot. Could someone please explain why this behaviour.

2) Is there any other mechanism(Other than the one shown above) of palying a message to the called party.

Any help on the above two issues shall be appreciated. Hope to receive a reply soon....

Thanks and Regards,
Lucky