[asterisk-dev] channel name uniqueness

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon May 18 15:39:11 CDT 2009

Paul Albrecht wrote:
> I have a question about the channel name. Specifically, is it guaranteed
> to be unique? The reason I'm asking is because sip channels use the
> pointer to their private block in their channel name, but that only
> ensures uniqueness if asterisk is compiled 32 bit.

Channel names are not guaranteed to be unique throughout system
lifetime.  There will (should!) never be more than one channel with the
same name at the same time, though.

The unique ID field on a channel is what uniquely identifies it from
others that had the same name.  The unique ID field is a monotonically
increasing integer, a timestamp, and optionally, a system name.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead