[asterisk-dev] [RFE?] Trusted servers/users

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Sat May 9 04:54:52 CDT 2009

On 8 May 2009, at 14:13, Chris Lee wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> First off this is just an idea, I do not need it but I think it
> would make
> Asterisk more useful in the wild.
>
> A scenario I was thinking about did not fit into the way I
> understand Asterisk
> to work so I thought I would throw it in here to see if anyone liked
> it enough
> to give it a second thought, or even put it at the bottom of the
> pile of things
> they might like to code.
> If this is already supported then tell me I have not been diligent
> enough on the
> research front.
> The scenario I was thinking on is where I as an outsourced tech
> monkey get sent
> to customer sites to do work, they have firewalls up the yazoo and
> prevent my
> devices from logging me into my corporate "home server" to gain
> access to telephony.
> So I was thinking it would be nice to be able to log into any server
> that
> "trusted" my corporate server, it can then ask my companies server
> if it is OK
> to let me do so and agree the billing etc.. If required, then send
> the call logs
> to my home server for accounting purposes.
>
> Something like this:
> 1. My device asks DHCP/DNS for a local telephony server
> 2. It then asks local telephony server to log me in.
> 3. Local server checks with remote server (which is in it's trusted
> list) to see
> that credentials are OK.
> 4. Informs the server that it has a route to me (my account/device)
> 5. I start using the phone as usual and receive and make all calls I
> would
> normally expect to.
> 6. Logs are duplicated back to my "home server"
> 7. "home server" routes calls to the current remote host server to
> deliver to me.
>
> That is it, simple right ;)
>
> Regards and thanks for listening,
> Chris.

I can see this as one of the uses of Skype for Asterisk.
Skype seems to tunnel pretty effectively over ssl 443 - which is
almost never blocked. So you run SFA on your asterisk.
Redirect incomming calls to your skype account, and run a DISA
for outgoing calls placed from your skype account to your asterisk.

Tim.

Tim Panton - Web/VoIP consultant and implementor
www.westhawk.co.uk