[asterisk-dev] [RFE?] Trusted servers/users

Chris Lee cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk
Fri May 8 08:13:33 CDT 2009

Hi All,

First off this is just an idea, I do not need it but I think it would make
Asterisk more useful in the wild.

A scenario I was thinking about did not fit into the way I understand Asterisk
to work so I thought I would throw it in here to see if anyone liked it enough
to give it a second thought, or even put it at the bottom of the pile of things
they might like to code.
If this is already supported then tell me I have not been diligent enough on the
research front.
The scenario I was thinking on is where I as an outsourced tech monkey get sent
to customer sites to do work, they have firewalls up the yazoo and prevent my
devices from logging me into my corporate "home server" to gain access to telephony.
So I was thinking it would be nice to be able to log into any server that
"trusted" my corporate server, it can then ask my companies server if it is OK
to let me do so and agree the billing etc.. If required, then send the call logs
to my home server for accounting purposes.

Something like this:
1. My device asks DHCP/DNS for a local telephony server
2. It then asks local telephony server to log me in.
3. Local server checks with remote server (which is in it's trusted list) to see
that credentials are OK.
4. Informs the server that it has a route to me (my account/device)
5. I start using the phone as usual and receive and make all calls I would
normally expect to.
6. Logs are duplicated back to my "home server"
7. "home server" routes calls to the current remote host server to deliver to me.

That is it, simple right ;)

Regards and thanks for listening,
Chris.