[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Network Security Idea (using tcp_wrappers)

Anthony Plack tony at plack.net
Mon Mar 30 20:15:56 CDT 2009

> void ast_log_invalid(const char *module, const char *reason, const char *ipaddr, const char *for)

Forgive my ignorance, but I would like to know what constitutes an invalid?

I love the idea of finally using tcp_wrappers.  I love the idea of Asterisk finally logging security issues.  I love the discussion about using syslog features for Asterisk.

What I don't understand is how Asterisk, at a low level is going to know if something is invalid?  At what point to we get host.deny involved?

For example, a valid client on a box were to start phreaking the extensions on the box, and I get a flood of 484's, do I then put a rule in place stating that any more than five 484's will block that IP address?  What about valid mis-dials or clients set up with early dial features?  Troubleshooting this spaghetti mess will be real fun.

Or are we just looking for the SIP/IAX authentication?  Do we need additional modules in the system for this?

BTW, this makes every sense on the HTTP and Manager Apps.

If this were a vote, I would have to say, that I would vote for Asterisk at least reporting EVERY transaction and allowing an external application to parse who is valid and who is not.

The current "check_auth: username mismatch" might flag the app, but in some installs, might not.

So when should asterisk call the "ast_log_invalid" function over the "ast_log_event" function?

Just some thoughts on this awesome idea.

Best Regards,
Tony Plack