[asterisk-dev] gsoc: verbose logging

Pék Dániel pekdaniel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 13:37:56 CDT 2009

Hi!

I'm Daniel Pek from Hungary, and i would like to apply for gsoc.
I'm just starting to get aquainted with asterisk codebase, so i think,
it would be a good challange to implement some ideas from section 3.

3/a
I checked the code, and the changelog, and i got a little confused
(maybe i'm just tired...). I'll try to summarize what i think, and
please correct me, if i'm wrong:
there's this patch:
http://svn.digium.com/view/asterisk?view=revision&revision=76555
It makes possible to "set the core debug or verbose levels on a per-file
basis". The VERBOSITY_ATLEAST macro checks the __FILE__'s verbose level,
and some global level whether one of them is high enough.
This means, here the per-file basis means per source-file basis, right?
And user can set it with handle_verbose from cli.
So it's like, "from this source-file i need only this amount of
verbosity", right?

The next thing: how verbose log messages are handled:
 - __ast_verbose_ap directly, or with the help of the logging thread
sends the message to verboser functions
 - verboser functions are registered with ast_register_verbose.
 - i found some references to this function, one of them sends the
message to a socket, the other prints it to a console, but i couldn't
find any registration which prints the message to a file. does it mean
there's no support for verbose logging to a file?

and finally, i think the solution would be an extra level setting for
verbosers, and it should be checked somewhere. if i noticed correctly,
there's no chance to write verboselog to file. So maybe a verboser,
which can write to files would be neccessary too.

i'm interested in the 3/c idea, just had no time for check the code for
now, but i will.

i've really just started to get familiar with the logger code, so every
help is welcomed, and i would extremly grateful if somebody would give
me direction.

Thank you,
Daniel