[asterisk-dev] About asterisk development plans

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Wed Mar 18 18:55:17 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:13 PM, John Lange <john at johnlange.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 22:56 +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > How can they be tested?
> >
> > Let's take one case: CDR to either sqlite or CSV (those two cases are
> > the simplest as they require no third-party DB).
> >
> > Can you come up with a system that starts Asterisk, runs a number of
> > scenarios automatically, and cheks of the CDR is OK?
>
> Yes. Perhaps I'm not understanding something about your question? This
> is *nix, automation and scripting is what it does well.
>
> For example, CDR. Since the tests are the same every time, the CDR
> should be the same. Just a simple "diff" comparing the CDRs would flag
> anything that changed. Something similar could probably done with AMI
> and even console output just to flag abnormalities.

Believe me, if this was all that was needed, I'd have implemented this two
years ago!
The trouble is, that the times change from test to test. And therefore,
you'll not
be able to diff CDR's from test to test. Some interesting scripts could be
written
to just verify that one timepoint is equal to another, that one timepoint is
between
two others, perhaps on other CDR's, but the element of reproducibility is
not there.
Even if I had done time differentials instead of absolute times, there would
be no
way to get around the round-off differences from test to test.

<shameless self-promotion> In the CEL based CDR generator I was working on
(and now,
without funding, unable to finish), I have designed it to be testable, and
thus
reproducible. I was sick and tired of charting out CDRs by hand, tracking
times
and fields thru xfers, over and over again! If I were going to run
regressions, I
wanted to run thru a couple dozen scenaros in a few seconds!</shameless
self-promotion>

And I'm not even going to mention how the times on anything but simple CDR's
are
wrong to begin with...  ;)  ooops, sorry!

murf

--
Steve Murphy
ParseTree Corp