[asterisk-dev] Test framework (changed topic)

Jon Bonilla (Manwe) manwe at aholab.ehu.es
Wed Mar 18 14:28:30 CDT 2009

El Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:06:47 +0100
"Olle E. Johansson" <oej at edvina.net> escribió:

> I think we all agree on what needs to be done.

Agree.

> Now, how many of you that think this is important is willing to donate
> time, money, machines in order to get this done?
> It's on the google soc list and needs a mentor.

The mentorship could come from expertised people. We would need some people
experienced in those kind of tests and some Digium menthors who know asterisk
in deep.

> So far, in all the mails it's someone elses problem - developers, or
> specifically Digium's problem to fix.

I think it's everyones problem but it is Digium's responsability to lead it.

> We all have had this in focus for quite some time, as both Russell and
> I have said. I think we both did a first
> stab at a test framework three or four years ago...
>
> We have a plan. Provide resources so that we can execute!
>
> Question: If we built a non-profit organization that you could donate
> to, and deduct from company taxes,
> would that make it easier for Asterisk users to chip in and provide
> monetary resources?

In spanish community we have just begun a donation campaign in order to have
the CDR rewriten. Many donations are promised by many people since we have
limited them to 50€ at most. I think this kind of campaign could be done
worldwide by Digium.

Development is the most expensive thing. One the test suite is ready tests could
be run by the community in their own testing machines so test-hardware should
not be an issue

> (how to manage that foundation is a separate issue today)
>
> It's clear from this discussion that all the resources Digium provides
> is not enough.
> We need more resources to build the products the community needs. How
> do we get there,
> apart from the SoC project?

I will repeat again: The community has the responsability of test, ask,
and use. Digium has the responsability to provide a good product (not saying
it is bad, is just a word) as project leader.

Digium and community have a symbiotic relationship. We work or use with
Digium's products so they have reseller program, integrators buying their
products and users testing them. They in exchange provide Asterisk code and
several services to us.

We are willing that relationship to be improved and to do our part. Let Digium
give us the mechanisms to improve it.