[asterisk-dev] pseudo channel

Steve Davies davies147 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 09:28:53 CDT 2009

2009/3/17  <john at spectross.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to understand the chan_zap/chan_dahdi code.
>
> What is the point of sending commands / receiving events / reading & writing
> voice packets over pseudo ("/dev/zap/pseudo") channels ?

Person A: What is the most important thing a comedian needs to know?

Person B: I don't know what is the most....

Person A (interrupts): TIMING!

I believe that /dev/zap/pseudo provides access to timing for Asterisk
components that do not have a reliable clock source, without requiring
or using up an actual voice resource from the zap/dahdi hardware. This
is useful (for example) for Meetme where you can have attendees
arriving and leaving, so cannot rely on anyone as a clock source.

(I hope that is right)

Regards,
Steve