[asterisk-dev] Moving H.323 forward by linking to a new library

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Fri Mar 13 11:51:29 CDT 2009

Kevin wrote:
>Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) wrote:

>> I think that ooh323c is not actively maintained either. Correct me if
>> I'm wrong, but I don't think there was any addition to the library for a
>> long time now.
>>
>> As I recall ooh323 library did not support T38 or video back when it was
>> released and I don't think support for T38/video was added since.
>>
>> H323Plus (and OPAL) on the other hand both support video and T38.

> You are correct on all points; chan_ooh323 is pretty much dead at this
> point, there is no further development happening on it.

That is a bit of a shame.  I will admit I have not tried chan_h323 in
years, I was very put off by the build complexities and dependencies
the last time I tried.  The points raised by Ming-Ching were exactly
why I decided to move to chan_ooh323c.

My start in Asterisk development came about by adding features and tweaks
to chan_ooh323c, and I found the code a bit easier to follow than the
other H323 choices.  If I was more comfortable with the concepts behind
T38 and video, I would consider trying to add them.  But after watching
bugs concerning chan_ooh323c be immediately closed, I have no drive
to even attempt it.

I hope that whatever decisions are reached about the libraries used that
the channel evolves to be no harder to install that chan_sip or chan_iax.

Dan