[asterisk-dev] Google Summer of Code 2009

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Tue Mar 10 16:44:04 CDT 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 2:32 PM, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 05:21:33PM -0400, Gregory Boehnlein wrote:
>> What about having someone build the Asterisk security architecture
>> as a
>> Summer of Code project?
>
> Design the ASA?

I think that would be a good first step, certainly.  The document I
created outlining network security elements was a draft, and a very
incomplete one at that.

http://astridevcon.pbwiki.com/Network-Security-Framework

I think limiting the scope of a "security framework" could be done to
make a more manage-able solution.  I'd suggest terming it "Network
Security Architecture (NSA)" so that it implies IP-based services
instead of the more general security concepts such as buffer
overflows, insecure string handling, and the like, as that is a much
larger project.  I think it's a big enough coding challenge to
identify (and hopefully implement a solution around) the network-based
security risks that might be mitigated with more security code built
into Asterisk instead of relying on external security agents for that
purpose.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/