[asterisk-dev] Feedback requested for future 1.6 API documentation

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Mar 2 20:59:47 CST 2009

On Mar 2, 2009, at 9:27 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> All dev docs are in doxygen, so I would suggest that we add another
> "fake" include file that we add this info to, or just add another tag
> in Doxygen that Doxygen will summarize on one page, like \todo's. Then
> we can add information in the file we are changing and will have a
> summary automatically.

Using doxygen gets my vote.  It is really quite easy to use, and seems
like an appropriate place to do it, so that the documentation of API
changes is integrated into the documentation of the API itself.

As oej refers to, if you take a look at the "fake" header that we
have, include/asterisk/doxyref.h, you'll see a number of things that
we have done to use doxygen for more general documentation bits.

I think we should create an include/asterisk/doxygen/ directory so
that we can start breaking up the "other" documentation into multiple
files.  I would suggest a file per release (API changes from 1.4 to
1.6.0, 1.6.0 to 1.6.1, 1.6.1 to 1.6.2, etc.).

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Senior Software Engineer, Open Source Team Lead