[asterisk-dev] Can Asterisk detect A,B,C,D DTMF signals

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Mon Jun 29 10:58:01 CDT 2009

On Jun 28, 2009, at 6:07 AM, Nir Simionovich wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been asked by a prospect if Asterisk can handle the additional
> DTMF signals that
> may be produced by some emergency systems. According to the DTMF
> standard,
> there are 4 additional tones that can be generated, however, these
> are not used in most
> phones.
>
> Can these be intercepted by Asterisk?
>
> Nir Simionovich

Yes, they are recognized by Asterisk.  They are sometimes called "4th
column tones".  My familiarity with them dates back to 4A switch test
sequence & AUTOVON, but best not to go into those ancient days in too
much detail.

The matching on these keys in Asterisk of course illustrates the
difficulty in how we would handle instant messages, or SIP names, or
anything else as part of exensions.  The keypad digit "a" also would
match "a" in a text string.  How do you differentiate between text and
4th column tone designators?  It's a head-scratcher.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/