[asterisk-dev] Syntax for application parameters

Kannaiyan Natesan gbpnkans at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:40:01 CDT 2009

Why not have something like this,

App(name=value,name1=value1,[name2=(innername1=innervalue1,innername2=innervalue2)])

This makes clear with readability names with parameters and parameters can
be in any order.

e.g For Dial,

Dial(sipuri="sip://username:password@example.com<username%3Apassword@example.com>
",timeout=600,retry=3,retryinterval=30)

/Kannaiyan

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com> wrote:

> Eliel and I started a vigorous discussion on the asterisk-dev IRC
> channel earlier today regarding the syntax for application parameters in
> the built-in help, and I'd like to open up the discussion for more
> members of the development community before we agree on a format.
>
> >From what we've discussed this morning, it appears we have four
> different proposed versions of the syntax:
>
> 1) Application([param1][,param2[,param3]])
> 2) Application([param1[,param2[,param3]]])
> 3) Application([[param1][,[param2][,[param3]]])
> 4) Application([param1][,[param2][,[param3]]])
>
> In this case, we're talking about cases where each parameter is
> optional, and is not dependent upon any previous parameters.  (For
> example, param3 doesn't depend on param2 being set.)
>
> I'll withhold sharing my personal opinions until you've had a chance to
> look over the proposted versions of the syntax above, so as not to taint
> your opinions.
>
> --
> Jared Smith
> Training Manager