[asterisk-dev] Syntax for application parameters

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jun 9 13:38:32 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 09 June 2009 13:10:36 Jared Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-09 at 12:07 -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > However, if the third option is specified, then the second option is
> > mandatory.  Thus, the fields are not all exclusively optional, but
> > rather one option's specification mandates the specification of
> > another.
>
> Let's be clear here... when you say "if the third option is specified,
> then the second option is mandatory", we're *not* saying that you have
> to have the second parameter, only that you have a comma there at a
> minimum.  To use your example of the Dial application, specifying an
> option (third parameter) doesn't mean we *have* to specify a timeout
> (second parameter).

That is incorrect.

> We can easily Dial(IAX2/some_peer/exten,,m), and not pass in a second
> parameter.

You haven't paid attention to the email I posted and are now distorting my
point.  I originally wrote:

A good example would be the L option of the Dial command.  The first parameter
is required, the second and third are optional.  However, if the third option
is specified, then the second option is mandatory.  Thus, the fields are not
all exclusively optional, but rather one option's specification mandates the
specification of another.  You need the proper inclusion of square brackets to
make the documentation clear.

The L option, Jared, the L option.  Not the direct arguments to Dial.

<snip>

--
Tilghman