[asterisk-dev] Regarding janitor projects

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Jun 5 12:15:48 CDT 2009

On Thursday 04 June 2009 15:24:40 Dhirendra Pal Singh wrote:
> I am very interested in asterisk and want to help with coding.
>
> Now I did look at
> http://svn.asterisk.org/svn/asterisk/trunk/doc/janitor-projects.txt and I
> think I can start working on some of them in no particular order.
>
> I was wondering if there are some docs to help me jump start my coding
> effort for asterisk. Any pointers? Any body?
>
> Since I am a newbie to asterisk development, so please be gentle :)

The main issue that we typically have with patches is a lack of following
the coding guidelines.  These are mainly issues with spacing and indentation,
and occasionally with line terminators (people using Windows line terminators
instead of Unix line terminators).  The coding guidelines are all located
here:
http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/doc/CODING-GUIDELINES

Once you have a candidate patch, you'll want to upload the patch as a
contribution to https://issues.asterisk.org.  You'll need to sign a
contributor license agreement.  It's also best to prefix the subject line
of the issue with "[janitor]", so that we can distinguish your contribution
from a bugfix patch.  Additionally, janitor patches should all be against
trunk, unless otherwise specified in the janitor.

And finally, welcome to the developer community.  Many of the developers
hang out in #asterisk-dev on the Freenode IRC network, so if you have a coding
guidelines question, feel free to come ask us there.  (Questions on the usage
of Asterisk itself should be asked in #asterisk).

--
Tilghman