[asterisk-dev] Fwd: Inquiry abount Asterisk "extensions.conf"

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Sat Jul 25 05:33:57 CDT 2009

Hi!
  To make this in asterisk, it's a bit tricky :-).
  I'm maintaining two different dial plans in my * - overlap and en-bloc ones -
with separate entries for almost any external destination.
  In general, you need:
  1) In the "overlap" context, create the "s" (start) extension, to allow the
switch to react on a call attempt without a B-number present.
  2) Let the WaitExten() be the main part of this "s" extension, it will
collect digits for you, and find a proper destination. In asterisk 1.6, it can
even put a dial tone on a line (a non-documented feature, using "d" parameter).
If your phones, mainly SIP ones, are not happy sending digits before answer
(some don't like it), put Answer() before WaitExten().
  3) Make the external destination not as a pattern, but as a pure code. Don't
put anything as the dialled string. The following will do perfect overlap
dialling over a PRI line (of course chan_dahdi.conf must be configured to
permit overlap signalling).

exten => 9,1,Dial(DAHDI/g1)

After dialling 9, the line from the trunk group g1 is seized immediately,
without any number sent. You can hear the dial tone from the remote exchange,
and dialling from the A-side is properly forwarded to the PRI line (using INFO
messages). You can use another channels too, it works even for SIP, if the
remote exchange is configured similarly (with an "s" extension doing
WaitExten() ).

I hope it's the information you are looking for.

With regards, Pavel Troller