[asterisk-dev] AGI Function Control Stream File

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Tue Jul 14 13:04:19 CDT 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 6:45 AM, Bryant Zimmerman wrote:

> After reviewing the ast_controlstreamfile code and
> handles_controlstreamfile code. It looks to me that there are some
> inherent limitations designed into the code.   I am not much of a c
> coder so I do not think I can safely modify it at this time.
>
> I would like to suggest two new functions that would allow for much
> cleaner control from an agi programmers point of view.
> stream file fastforward and stream file reverse. With these two
> functions and the standard stream file I believe that an agi
> developer could make almost any combination of playback decision.
> each would need to support a digit return and endpos.  The only down
> side I can see to using this method is a little more overhead on
> file open and close but I think the flexibility merits it.
>
> How could we get some one to pick up and add these functions. I am
> willing to write the spec and test.
>
> Thanks
> Bryant Zimmerman

Bryant -
   The first step is to do what you've done, and then expand upon it a
bit.  I find that writing specifications is often the most effective
way to get someone to look at a particular project from a programming
perspective, though there is certainly no guarantee that anyone will
pick it up.

   If you can write a clear specification including some use cases,
you may attract someone who sees the utility of your patch suggestion
and has the time/energy/ability to complete such a request.  However,
in the bazaar of open-source, there is nobody to "hand" this to except
yourself.  I have had some success with putting bounties on certain
projects, and you may find that getting other people to put money
towards such a project will improve your chances of getting it
completed if you are not able to develop the code yourself.

   Lastly, with a patch such as this which creates a new feature in an
existing API, please ensure you get a "rough consensus" of utility,
and that nobody has valid reasons for objecting to such a modification
if you wish to see it added to the primary code base of Asterisk.

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/