[asterisk-dev] HW requirements for a big conference server

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Sat Jul 11 12:11:02 CDT 2009

Geoffrey Mina wrote:
> I think you are not going to get MeetMe to work reliably with 200
> concurrent users.  There are some elements of the MeetMe architecture
> which don't allow it to scale very well.  Conference (app_conference)
> could probably handle 200 users on your current hardware.  It doesn't
> have all the bells and whistles of MeetMe, but it does the core job of
> conferencing lots of users very well.

I have never personally tested a conference that big, so I can't speak
directly to the original question.  However, this post doesn't really
make sense to me.

The original poster is wanting to conference _all_ TDM channels.  MeetMe
works by conferencing in DAHDI.  This means that the audio doesn't come
up to Asterisk at all in this scenario.  Why would app_conference, which
mixes inside of Asterisk, and would require 200 calls worth of audio to
be passed up to Asterisk to do it, scale much better that leaving the
conference down in DAHDI?  If app_conference does raw mixing that much
more efficient than we do it in DAHDI, it would be nice to know so that
we can improve it.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager, Open Source Software