[asterisk-dev] New AGI manager command: PlaySound

Nir Simionovich nir.simionovich at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 14:05:47 CST 2009

Nik,

   I think it is very dependent on the implementation. For example, a
nice way to implement such an AMI action would be to send something like
this:

Action: PlaySound
Channel: SIP/xx.xx.xx.xx-12EDQW12
File: testing_dir/sound_filename_without_extension

   For example, the above can be used to inject an audio file into an
existing channel handler. While on the subject, I think that another
Action also needs to be implemented, which is "ReadDTMF". This will
enable similar functionality as the dialplan Read application, only
to a specific channel overlay.

   Coming to think about, I think the better way to do it would be to a
ChannelHook action, which will enable us to hook a new channel into an
existing channel or an existing channel bridge. Something for example
like this:

Action: ChannelHook
Channel: SIP/xx.xx.xx.xx-12EDQW12
Context: Context_Name
Exten:   Extension_in_context
Prioroty: Priority_in_extension_or_label

   The above can be used to hook a specific dialplan context into an
existing channel or bridged channels, thus, allowing the control to be
passed from the dialplan.

   Apart from saying that I like the idea - I have no idea where to
start working on this. I believe it will involved a fair portion of
Media processing and working with chan_local or something of the sort.
In addition, this will need to take into account situations where the
Media may not traverse the Asterisk box due to SIP re-invites or IAX2
transfers, where the call simply disappears from the box.