[asterisk-dev] Adding Bluetooth Pairing Support to chan_mobile

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Fri Jan 23 14:27:16 CST 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 12:16 -0600, Matthew Nicholson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently it occurred to me that bluetooth paring support, might be a
> useful feature to have in chan_mobile.  Currently you are required to
> manage device pairing outside of chan_mobile, which usually means
> configuring and managing an external program.  Most of the pairing
> agents that I have seen are also interactive (for the initial pairing
> exchange), which is not suited for a server environment.  A pairing
> agent could be built into chan_mobile and a 'pin=' option added to
> mobile.conf to simplify pairing chan_mobile devices.
>
> I would like to know if adding this functionality to chan_mobile is a
> good idea or not.

+100000

--I wrote a blog on connecting via bluetooth and chan_mobile (backported
to 1.4)... and it was a royal pain to investigate and execute. Different
versions
of the bluez stuff have different ways of doing the pairing. The last
involved
me running the simple-agent as a third party to handle the server side
of
the pairing process. Yuck.

Anthing you can do to simplify the process will reduce the pain of
configuring chan_mobile!

murf

--
Steve Murphy <murf at digium.com>